Hot Ham and Bean Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup diced carrots
- 1 Cup diced celery
- 1 Cup diced onions
- 2 Cups cubed baked ham (not lunch meat – fully cooked ham roast cut from bone and cubed)
- 3 Cloves minced garlic
- 4 Jalapenos, chopped, stems removed, seeds retained
- 1 Teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Great Northern Beans, un-drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can Great Northern Beans, un-drained, smashed to thick paste (can smash by hand or use a food processor)
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Cups chicken broth
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Fire Out the Hole! To taste (serving)
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, sauté carrots, onions, Jalapenos, garlic, and celery in Olive Oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add ham, sauté an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Great Northern Beans (whole and smashed), and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, stir as needed.
- Boil for 10 minutes, reduce heat to simmer.
- Add parsley, stir into soup, cover sauce pan.
- Simmer for 1 – 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve hot in soup bowls and top with Fire Out the Hole! For additional flavor and heat. Fresh bread goes well on the side.